Labial fillers are used to increase the volume of labia majora (bigger genital lips).
As women age, lose a lot of weight, or give birth their labia may change shape and become more floppy, lax and and less full or deflated. Women may be disturbed by its appearance or develop discomfort during sex. Loss of tone and firmness of labia majora can cause discomfort because of lost protection from excessive friction and impact. They may be also less sensation during intercourse. The loss of plumpness of labia majora can also lead to more dryness of vaginal skin, causing discomfort, irritation and pain during sex.
Who may need labial filler?
Women who desire their labia majora to be fuller, more toned and firmer opt to have labial filler.
Who performs labial fillers?
Labial fillers are a relatively new aesthetic medical procedure and are best performed by a specialist who has been trained to perform them, is a skilled surgeon and performs such procedures regularly. Dr Novikova is a gynaecologist with a special interest in aesthetic gynaecology. She is also an advanced minimally invasive gynaecological surgeon. Dr Novikova is also the first and so far the only gynaecologist in South Africa certified by European Society of Aesthetic Gynaecology. She has experience of carrying out many successful labial filler procedures.
What is used for labial filler?
There are several substances that can be used for labial filler
- Fat filler is done with patients own fat, which is usually taken from the inner thigh. Fat filler is natural and will not produce an allergic reaction. About 60% of fat will be re-absorbed, the other 40% will give a long-lasting result.
- Hyaluronic acid is a substance, which is naturally present in the human body. It has a very special ability to bind water hence it makes the tissue moist, smooth and assists with movement (joint and muscles). Hyaluronic acid is present in all cells. As we get older cells lose the ability to produce hyaluronic acid and cells lose the ability to hold water, therefore, tissue loses its elasticity, smooth and plump appearance. The injection of hyaluronic acid acts as space filler by binding to water, it increases moisture and decreases dryness. The injection of hyaluronic acid into the labia gives labia the desired volume and improves the appearance and also increases sensation during sex.
- Platelet rich plasma injection leads to better vascularization, new collagen and elastin fibers and peripheral nerve regeneration. The vagina becomes tighter, there is better lubrication, less infections and better sensitivity, normalization of pH and less vaginal mucosa.
Often a combination of different filler types is injected, for example PRP is combined with hyaluronic acid or fat.
How long do the effects last for?
The effects last for 12-24 months.
How long does the procedure take?
The procedure will take about 15 minutes if hyaluronic acid is used and about 30-45 minutes if PRP and fat is used.
Is the procedure painful?
No, your gynaecologist will use local anesthetic injections for this procedure and will ask you to apply numbing cream to the labia before the procedure
What are the side effects of the procedure?
It is a safe procedure and side effects are rare. Swelling, redness, pain, itching, discolorations may occur. Hyaluronic acid filler very rarely may migrate from the injection site and give an undesirable appearance. Rarely there may be a reaction to the hyaluronic acid filler.
How much filler is injected?
The amount of filling will be discussed in each case and will depend on the size of the labia, degree of sagginess and patients’ wishes. If the fat or PRP is used in filling some of it will be re-absorbed after injections.
What is the difference between different fillers?
- Your gynaecologist will usually have a preference for a particular hyaluronic acid filler based on its current availability and quality of filler.
- To use fat for filling, it has to be taken from the patients inner thighs. Usually about 80-120 cc of fat is obtained.
View our full list of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic gynaecological procedure fees.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Call our office or email to book an appointment at our Cape Town practice.
MEET DR NOVIKOVA
Meet the only certified aesthetic gynaecologist in South Africa, Dr Natalia Novikova.